Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cabbage rolls



Today I'm going to use some of our cabbage from the garden. We are making cabbage rolls. I'll even use some of the tomato sauce I made this week to cover the rolls as they bake. I'm using old bread instead of rice. I'll use Italian spices and I'll add one or 2 eggs in my mix. I am also using red cabbage instead of white. I have allot of cabbage in the garden. I am going to try making homemade sauerkraut later in the month. That's a first for me. Our broccoli soup turned out very good. I only used half of the broccoli yesterday. I got one big pot of soup plus 5 quarts to put in the freezer. Today we are cooking the rest of the broccoli in the Crockpot. I brown 4 chopped onions with 6 cloves of garlic in olive oil. Then I add the onions and garlic to the Crockpot with clean chopped broccoli. To this I add water and chicken bullion. I cook this for about 8 hours on low. I blend this mix until its smooth. I add some small chopped and peeled potatoes (just a handful) in the pot to cook. Then I blend the cooked potatoes, they thicken the soup. Finally I add some milk and cheese, salt and pepper. You don’t need to grow your own broccoli to make this easy soup. I guess you can also add the potatoes to the Crockpot and let them cook with the broccoli. I was making it up as I went. We are just learning to grow, cook and save our own food. It's all new to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment