Thursday, February 26, 2009

fast food


Nicole and I are on a 10 day Daniel fast. I have a killer headache because I'm addicted to coffee. Nicole feels great. I must say, if you have ever fasted just water before, this is a gourmet fast. We had fresh squeezed orange juice and oat meal with raisins for breakfast. I am making a vegetable soup with carrots, celery, and potatoes in the crackpot for lunch. It will probably take me 3 or 4 days to get past the coffee headache! This is Nicole’s first fast and I wanted to try something she could actually stick with while she went to school. Can you eat eggs on a Daniel fast? I don't know? I would like to boil Nicole an egg for school. I'm not too worried about me, I am home...but she has a pretty tuff school schedule. I feel a little strange blogging about a fast. When you fast you should try to keep it a secret. It’s a spiritual thing between you and God. I just feel like I should try to be a teacher here. We live in a world where spiritual disciplines are not taught as much as in the past. Today I think we need the power and closeness to God that comes through the discipline of fasting. But since no one really practices this discipline, we don’t know how to do it. I’m trying to teach my daughter some spiritual disciplines. I write this here to encourage you too. If you have never fasted then a Daniel fast could be a great starting point. You will need time to shop for the raw ingredients, and time to cook the beans and soups you will be allowed to eat. There is no instant anything on this fast. Fresh fruit is the only thing you can just grab to eat. But more important then what you eat or don’t eat is taking time to connect with God. We are fasting for lent…the weeks leading up to Easter. There is no better time to get your heart right with God. No better time to reflect on the beauty of our good God.


Habakkuk 3:17-19


Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,

yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment