Monday, January 19, 2009

George's Rice Soup

I got this e-mail from Laurie
It sounds really great! I'm going to make it for dinner tonight. I'll take pictures and tell you what the Heymann kids think of your soup! Thank you Laurie for the input. You are a great blessing!!!

George's Soup

We make a version that we call George's Baifan (rice) soup, with left
over cooked rice. I make a big pot and don't do much measuring, but
this is basically what goes into it.

6-8 small/medium red potatoes peeled, cooked & cut into small squares
1 onion chopped fine
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic in olive oil
1-1.5 pounds of mild Italian sausage, cooked
1 large bag of chopped frozen spinach
1 large can of chicken base (or your own chicken or vegetable broth)
1 tb Better than Bullion
salt, pepper or a seasoning mix to taste
two to four cups of water

2-4 cups of left over cooked rice (for George's Baifan version)


Cook the potatoes in a big pot, then brown the sausage (break up into
little pieces) and the garlic and onions together. When all is done,
combine the skinned and chopped potatoes, the sausage mix, frozen
chopped spinach and the chicken base into a big pot and water. Add
seasonings and Better than Bullion to taste. If you have some carrots
you can chop these up and add to the pot too. Cook for two to four
hours. Crock pot would be all day, I guess.

For picky eaters, I sometimes blend up the soup a little with my hand
held blender, so that there are not recognizable chunks to pick out!
The kids love this soup and it is very hearty and filling.

I have lately had lots of left over cooked rice in the frig and have
started adding this to my soups. If it is cooked for several hours,
the rice falls apart and thickens the soup nicely.

Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment