Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Soup


The 8 small potatoes cost about 50 cents. I'm using brown potatoes because I can not find red ones. I love red potatoes but they generally cost more. I had onions. Since most people just have onions I'm not adding them to the price. I paid around 2€ for 1/2 pound of good sausage. Laurie's recipe calls for 1 1/2 pounds of sausage. I figure it's there for flavor. I think less sausage will give us the flavor we want without the fat and cost. The good chicken broth I bought cost me 2.78€. I'm sure you can buy it cheaper in the States. I always have olive oil and garlic and bullion so I'm not going to add this to the total. The rice I had, but I'm going to say 2 cups of good rice cost 50 cents. I cook my rice in the microwave in a special rice cooker. It only takes 20 minutes to cook and it's always perfect. The bag of spinach cost 79 cents. I'm not going to add it to the soup until everything is cooked. That's just to save the vitamins. I will probably also add some frozen peas and carrots ( this also cost 79 cents)just because I like to slip in the veggies as often as I can. The total cost of this very large pot of soup is 7.36€ or about $9.70 USD. It took me about 15 minutes to peel and cut, and brown everything. It's cooking now. I'll have photos and a family review for you tonight. It smells good!!! As long as you add the spinach later, I think this would be a great crock pot meal.

1 comment:

  1. I make refrigerator soup on Fridays
    It varies from week to week depending on what I cooked that week.
    The base of it is
    organic chicken stock
    Then I take my left overs and add to it.
    For example this last week
    I had left over salsa
    left over beef chunks, potatoes, carrots
    So I added chopped onion, celery, bell pepper
    It was sort of a spicy tomato beef soup.

    If I had a lot of cream left over or milk that needed to be used up
    then I might have gone a different route.

    The left overs determine that type of soup I might go with.

    My favorite spice is thyme I don't put it in everything but I do put it in a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete